911 Access

John Hopkinson John.Hopkinson at kwictech.com
Thu Oct 16 18:26:36 UTC 2014

Hi Loui,

Absolutely correct.

Also some 3rd party phones that are connected to the Land Line, but that
also need mains power will not work in a power outage.  The thing to
look for is that the specifications say that they will work with the
"tip and ring" voltage, and then test that.

John

On 16/10/14 13:37, Loui Chang wrote:
> On Thu 16 Oct 2014 10:03 -0400, John Hopkinson wrote:
>> I normally do not contribute to these threads, as I do not consider
>> myself technically competant enough.  However there was a statement made
>> that I simply could not let slip by, the statement being:
>> "I was Grinning ear to ear. 911 works with it too."
>>
>> While it may appear that this is correct, you are NOT getting full 911
>> service unless you are using a "land line" and service provided by Bell,
>> not necessarily rented from Bell.
>>
>> Cell phones, IP telephony, etc., none of these systems can give you the
>> same guaranteed service that you get via a Land Line, and these other
>> services have already cost lives.
>>
>> The reason is relatively simple and is due to power.  Bell is required
>> to provide generators at its COs.  Cell towers are not so required (and
>> it would be impossible to do given their order of magnitude greater
>> numbers), nor are internet servers (similar reasons).  Thus in a power
>> outage situation Cell and IP telephony is much less likely to work.  If
>> switching to these other services, it is sensible to keep a basic land
>> line service into your home or office.
>>
>> Some of the non-land line services providers hake statements about 911
>> services, but if you read the contract carefully you will find that the
>> guarantees of service are not the same as with Land Line, and it is
>> against Canadian Law for them to guarantee full service.
>> Given the nature of this discussion I felt all participants should be
>> aware of the facts.
> Also make sure to have a corded phone handy. Land line with a cordless
> phone won't do you much good.

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night
to visit violence on those who would harm us. - George Orwell

"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own
way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe
wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country.  This
heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

	    Canadian Bill of Rights - July 1, 1960.

		  John George Diefenbaker
		  Prime Minister of Canada

Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended
solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain
information which is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure, except for the purpose intended. Dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction hereof by anyone other than its intended
recipient(s) is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an
intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return to
him/her the present e-mail and attachments. Further, please destroy any
copies hereof which may be in your possession.
John Hopkinson
Armourer, Marksmanship Coach

Voice: (613) 256-4715
1942 Ramsay Conc. 3A, Almonte,