x11VNC on Ubuntu 14.04

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Thu May 8 18:31:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM, CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get x11VNC working on Ubuntu 14.04?  I had it
> running fine on 13.10 but so far no joy on 14.04.  It installs fine but I
> can't connect to the host.  Error is "No connection could be made because
> the target machine actively refused it".

To be honest, "actively refusing it" sounds a lot like something
blocked by a firewall, or a process that is explicitly not running.
Note that I have not tried to run it here.

Have you tried pointing telnet to the port that this should be using,
to see if you can actually reach it? It doesn't have to be your router
blocking it for things to be blocked somewhere along the way, assuming
the process is indeed running and responding to requests.

sudo netstat -anp | grep -i x11vnc

Should tell you what port to test, assuming "x11vnc" is the name of the process.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93