Stability problems with media files on 14.04 (Evan Leibovitch)

gord campbell gordc2005 at velcom.ca
Thu May 8 03:31:36 UTC 2014

Upgrade or clean install?

One of my boot options is a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04 with the
restricted extras installed. It plays WMV files just fine, in either the
default video player (parole) or VLC.

I'm not big on upgrades. I have separate root and home partitions on my
daily driver, and I have never lost anything in a clean install. Next up
is Mint 17.

"Most notably, I've been unable to play WMV files. This causes VLC to
crash when trying to open WMV files that it used to handle with ease,
and sometimes Handbrake freezes on video files and that's NEVER happened
to be in more than a decade of use."