Stability problems with media files on 14.04

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed May 7 06:28:11 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions regarding problems
I've been having since going from Kubuntu 13.10 to 14.04.

Most notably, I've been unable to play WMV files. This causes VLC to crash
when trying to open WMV files that it used to handle with ease, and
sometimes Handbrake freezes on video files and that's NEVER happened to be
in more than a decade of use.

I've also encountered crashes on Chroumium, but suspect that is also
related to the media codec problem.

I see that Medibuntu has gone away, so I've replaced it with the ffmprg and
VLC repositories. But I have no idea what's missing or misconfigured. Any
assistance is appreciated.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada