Fwd: Laptops and 14.04 upgrade path

William Frick wfrick at rogers.com
Mon May 5 18:23:40 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------

I am looking to replace my ageing 1st gen intel Macbook with a new laptop.
Would I be somewhat safe in assuming that Ubuntu supports most current
hardware ie touchscreen HPs with A4-A6 CPUs ?  I am not fussy about brands
with so many out there in the 5-700 dollar range. Recommendations anyone ?

I am reluctant to upgrade my production desktop to 14.04 from 12.04 as
there doesn't seem to be a direct path to it.  Would it be better to start
with a fresh install on a new drive ?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.