failed upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

Doug Stewart doug.dastew at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:36:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Stephen M. Webb <
stephen.webb at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 08/22/2014 09:55 AM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> > I am still without the use of this computer!
> >
> > So far I have tried 2 upgrades and both did not work after the upgrade.
> :-(
> > one I got working with the help of Google, but this one does not give me
> a message to google for!!
> >
> > Is there a log file somewhere, that I should look at for a clue???
>
> If you were using a supported version of Ubuntu, I would suggest you
> examine the logs in /var/log/lightdm and possibly
> ~/.cache/upstart/gnome-session*.  Given that you're using unsupported
> 3rd-party software that explicitly does not
> support upgrades, it's going to be a fishing expedition to figure out
> where to look to find the problem.
>
> Let's start at the beginning of the session creation process: the login.
> Do you use the LightDM display manager (which
> offers the greeter or 'login screen') or some other software such as gdm
> (the Gnome Display Manager)?

I believe I am using lightdm. I say this because in /var/log/lightdm there
is a log file with the correct date on it.

Looking in /var/log/lightd/lightdm.log  and compering it to my 12.04 file I
see almost the same thing. I don't see any where
that there was an error.   It reported that I did try to start a Ubuntu
session.

What next??

thanks for the help.
Doug S.