bluetooth adapters

Jeff Smith crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:26:09 UTC 2014

You're right, it's probably more of a political thing than a technical thing.  I come from a Windows background so I have an old habit of looking for driver support when I buy hardware (especially if you're buying an older model of hardware and there's no support for current Windows versions).
Now while it is a political criterion as you said, I like to give my money to companies that at least acknowledge the existence of Linux, in the thought that since they meet my "political" criterions, that would imply that they are also trying to meet our "technical" criterions as well.  If they're willing to write Linux drivers, then theoretically the odds are that the hardware itself was made to be Linux-friendly.
It's all conjecture on my part, but I know I have had driver issues with video cards before where the manufacturer didn't supply a Linux driver and (coincidently) there wasn't a good driver available from the Linux world either.
Of course, there's no shortage of talented Linux programmers out there trying to write drivers for every piece of hardware under the sun, so the day will come when you can walk into a computer store and buy anything without having to worry if it will work on this OS or that OS.