failed upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Wed Aug 20 01:48:30 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 09:08 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I don't have the details handy, but I know this same sort of thing happened to me, and it was the Nvidia drivers.
>

> Here's what helped my (YMMV)
>
> Get to a command line using Ctrl-Alt F3
>
> First of all remove all remaining nvidia bits and pieces: sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
>
> Then install the correct drivers: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
>
> Then reboot: sudo reboot

I had to do that recently (upgraded an old system from 11.04 to 12.04).  However, the symptom was no LightDM screen
either, just a command-line console login, because the nVidia kernel module did not match the nVidia x.org driver.
That message shows up in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  If you're seeing the LightDM logins screen (or a gdm login screen) then
the X server is running OK and the drivers are probably good.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma