failed upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Wed Aug 13 03:14:20 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 10:15 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> Today my system said that I could upgrade from 12.04 lts to 14.04 lts, so i did.
>
> It appeared to install ok but---
>
> When it rebooted to finish the install it got to the login screen and asked me for my password. I entered my
> password and then i got a rectangle in the upper left corner....

What desktop were you using before the upgrade?  Unity?

If you were using Unity, it sounds like either Compiz or the Gnome Session was not upgraded properly.  The first thing
I'd do is look at the file $HOME/.cache/upstart/gnome-session-Unity.log to see if there are any obvious error
messages.  The second thing would be to log in to the guest session (normally selectable from the LightDM (login)
screen): if that works, there's probably a Compiz configuration problem.

The next steps depend on the results of the initial investigation.

Don't worry, it's likely a recoverable problem whatever it is.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma