Canadian English LO spell check

John Kerr johneddie.kerr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 23:34:28 UTC 2014

Hey bob

There are some Linux geeks who hang out while listening to this radio
station  http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/durham/?callsign=CKGEFM

We do chat in the chat room about everything, sometimes Linux

http://www.marsdenglobal.com/forum/

comon in  I am MoodyBlue in the chat room

John

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> There was an OpenOffice plugin to enable a Canadian English spell
> checker/thesaurus in OpenOffice. I'm successfully using it with
> LibreOffice v4.1.3.2
>
> I mirrored a copy at
>
>  http://sobac.com/ZIPfiles/Office%20Productivity/en_CA_2_0_0.oxt
>

> There's another version of a Canadian dictionary/thesaurus on the
> LibreOffice extensions site, but I haven't used it:
>

> http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/american-british-canadian-spelling-hyphen-thesaurus-dictionaries
>
> - --Bob.
>

> Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388
> SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
> http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/    http://sn.jonkman.ca/bobjonkman/
> Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting
> GnuPG Fngrprnt:04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115 26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA
>

> On 14-04-13 10:32 AM, John Kerr wrote:
> > My work around is to select UK English as the dictionary.  But I
> > would like this to work without someone having to scratch their
> > left ear with their right toe.
> >
> > Thanks for raising the issue. Again, this is one of those bugs that
> > can be a show stopper for some people. Those of us who spend much
> > time promoting FLOSS would like to see some time spent getting
> > these things fixed.
> >
> > Best regards, John On Apr 12, 2014 2:45 PM, "Allan" <allan at azic.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Canadian English spell check in LO is not functional as it should
> >> be.
> >>
> >> If LANG=en_CA or en_CA.UTF-8, spell check will not work by
> >> default when libreoffice is installed.
> >>
> >> This probably affects a lot of Canadians and Canadian English
> >> enthusiasts in the world who specify en_CA or en_CA.UTF-8 in the
> >> installer and then find their spell check to be not working in
> >> LO, with no warning at all.
> >>
> >> More details below:
> >>
> >> What happens is: The language will display English (Canada) in LO
> >> but no spelling mistakes will be highlighted. When a full spell
> >> check is performed, a dialogue box appears with the misleading
> >> message: "The spellcheck is complete."
> >>
> >> US English spell check will work.
> >>
> >> The cause is: libreoffice will pull hunspell-en-us, not
> >> hunspell-en-ca.
> >>
> >> Installing the hunspell-en-ca package installs the Canadian
> >> English dictionary and effectively fixes spell check.
> >>
> >> \\
> >>
> >> I've noticed this for years with various Ubuntu installers. I
> >> can't say for all of them right now though, as I've recently only
> >> used the 13.10 minimal install (where this is still happening).
> >>
> >> A fix would be to pull the hunspell-en-ca package as appropriate
> >> depending on the LANG settings. This should work with other
> >> variants too.
> >>
> >> A warning should also be displayed if the dictionary is not
> >> present for the selected language.
> >>
> >> It'd be nice to know if this issue affects you, or if you want
> [...]

Every child born increases by one the group of people Sir Winston Churchill
called the "so many", who owe so much to the group he called the "so few".