Understanding people

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 18:01:49 UTC 2013

The open source community has decided to create their own open source video
driver for Nvidia video cords, called Nouveau.  Nouveau is compiled into
the kernel and while running isn't compatible with the proprietary Nvidia
drivers. Stopping the module after the system boots has proven futile. What
does work is blacklisting it via a kernel option upon boot.

   1. Note: Run commands as *sudo* and back up or make notes of what you
   change.
   2. Open *  /etc/default/grub*  and change:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1
   quiet splash"                            Specifically add
   "nouveau.blacklist=1" to whatever you have. It will probably look like the
   above.
   3. Run: $ *sudo update-grub2*
   4. Reboot
   5. After the reboot you'll be promted to run in low graphics mode.
   Accept it and sign into your account.
   6. Install the Nvidia hardware drivers as you normally would through
   "Hardware Drivers" in the Menu.
   7. Run: $ * sudo nvidia-xconfig*
   8. Restart X : Alt+Ctrl+Print_Screen+K. This should restart X but if it
   doesn't then restart your computer
   9. Your screen should look like like your video card is working.
   10. To see if Nvidia is recognized: $ *inxi -xG*      OR:
   11. Menu >>  Nvidia X Server Settings and you should have options show
   up with no reported errors.

Good luck.

( Google IS your friend :-) and all the above came from
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/176 )

--
*Aruna Hewapathirane*
Consultant/Trainer