dual booting and grub

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Sep 3 05:39:03 UTC 2013

Doug Stewart wrote:
> When I boot Ubuntu from a memory stick how do I tell ubuntu to fix
> the grub on the main hard drive and not the one on the memory stick?

It's best to use the same version of Ubuntu on the USB stick that you
have installed on the hard drive.

This is all done from a commandline terminal.

0. If you're not logged in as root you can do it with:
     sudo -i

1. Mount the Ubuntu partition (if it isn't mounted already)
     mount /dev/sda1 /target
   Your Ubuntu partition may not be on sda1; be sure to use the correct
   block device name

2. Switch the root context to the Ubuntu partition
     chroot /target

3. Install grub to the drive (note: sda not sda1)
     grub-install /dev/sda

4. For good measure, ensure that grub is up-to-date
     update-grub

If you have a different version of Ubuntu you'll have to mount or
softlink system folders like /bin and /sbin -- let us know if that's a
problem.

Let us know if you have success!

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388