dual booting and grub

Doug Stewart doug.dastew at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 22:32:27 UTC 2013

I have a toshiba lap top with windows 8 on it.
we then repartitioned it using windows 8 and installed ubuntu
but grub failed to find windows 8 I then did something in widows 8 and
ended up being able to dual boot(not using grub) ( I can't remember what I
did!!!).
This all worked from may to now.

The system is using UEFI and the ubuntu partition is # 6

We now tried to to install windows 7 in place of windows 8.

Windows 7 froze and would not get ready to install.
We found using google the we should turn off UEFI to get so we can install
windows 7.
We did this and then windows 7 did load and got ready to install. but we
did not install anything.
We decided that there were some files in ubuntu that should be backed up
first.
We tried a reboot --- but had to change back to UEFI
Tried again but now no dual boot --- just windows 8   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We then booted Ubuntu from a memory stick and found the files and did a
backup !!

I tried using easybcd to setup dual booting in windows 8 but no luck so far.

so my question is:

When I boot Ubuntu from a memory stick how do I tell ubuntu to fix the grub
on the main hard drive and not the one on the memory stick?

I have used super grub in the past so maybe this is the way to go?

Doug

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html