backups

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat May 11 05:12:20 UTC 2013

I bought the last one from Tiger Direct, just over a year ago.  It was
on the recommendation from someone on the TLUG list.  A couple of days
later that particular deal was no longer listed on their site.

Right now the largest drive available is a Seagate 4 TByte USB3.0 drive
for $149.00[1]  But I'm not sure how much I trust cheap Seagate drives
any more. I've recently had to replace a customer's Seagate drives, one
after another - all had problems with the interface (the drive no longer
showed up in the BIOS).  But then I've had mechanical problems with
Western Digital external drives too (click-of-death), so it comes down
to which manufacturer I don't trust less...

Some of these drives have nice enclosures. A 1 TByte drive I bought a
few years ago had a nice E-SATA connection on its enclosure.  I put the
1 TByte drive in a desktop computer, then put a 2 TByte drive into the
enclosure as a backup drive.  Good, cheap, fast.  You *can* have all three.

--Bob.

[1]
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2933300&Sku=S130-8717

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413