Question

David M. Pelly david.pelly at hotmail.ca
Tue Feb 19 19:30:52 UTC 2013

Thanks Doug.

Much appreciated.

David

It sounds like you have a hardware problem. A "clunk" is usually either
caused by a bad hard drive or fan. If it's loud and sounds solid, it's
probably the hard drive, which might explain why it likes a nice solid
reboot at night (you may be getting corruption).

If the drive is relatively new (less than 5 years), try using gsmartctl to
run tests on your hard drive and see if it is still functioning properly.

You didn't mention if it's a desktop or laptop machine. If it's a desktop,
checking the fans should be fairly easy. Open the case and check for:
-Something jamming a fan periodically (wires run too close to blades, etc)
-Heavy dust build-up
-Fan not spinning

Remember that there is also a fan in the power supply, so check that one
as well.

If the hard drive *is* bad, back up everything and replace it A.S.A.P. Do
a FRESH install on the new hard drive as the system files on your old
one are most likely corrupted.

~Doug
A.K.A. DarwinSurvivor