Kip Warner (KombuchaKip) and Avayena in the news

Verdi R-D verdi at azend.org
Wed Dec 11 01:02:13 UTC 2013

Kip's project is actually really cool although took me longer then I care
to admit to understand.

TL;DR

Kip is making a game called Avaneya.

Kip needed assets from real space missions for said game so he contacted
NASA.

NASA said that the assets have been online for many many years but, because
the format the assets are in is so old, they no longer have a viewer for
them.

Kip said ok and built his own.

Kip is now selling his software licensed as FOSS with the assets from NASA
at a menial cost to help fund his game.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> Because Kip is the quiet and shy type he's unlikely to tell you about
> his 15 minutes of fame.  There's a nice picture of Kip too!
>
> --Bob.
>
> =====
>
> From
>
> http://www.straight.com/life/544186/geek-speak-kip-warner-project-lead-avaneya
>
> Geek Speak: Kip Warner, project lead for Avaneya
> by Stephen Hui on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:05 am
>
> Software engineer Kip Warner designed the technology behind Avaneya:
> Viking Lander Remastered.
>
> Kip Warner is the project lead for an ambitious science-fiction game
> under development called Avaneya. While the game’s release is years
> away, the free-software project marked a milestone in November with the
> release of a DVD-ROM called Avaneya: Viking Lander Remastered.
> Previously in Geek Speak
>
> A local software engineer and ethical hacker who graduated from the
> University of British Columbia, Warner put out Viking Lander Remastered
> through his company, Cartesian Theatre Corporation. Viking Lander
> Remastered allows users to see images of Mars that were captured by
> NASA’s Viking landers in the 1970s. Warner developed technology to
> recover the archived images, which had been stored in an archaic format
> and needed to be decoded.
>
> [more at
>
> http://www.straight.com/life/544186/geek-speak-kip-warner-project-lead-avaneya
> ]