Thunderbird mail

Doug Penner darwinsurvivor at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 21:54:30 UTC 2013

Thunderbird does use more ram and processor than webmail. What I was
specifically referring to was the actual interface response (not
heavy CPU stuff like searching). When I click on another folder, it
just appears, I don't have to wait for a bunch of handshakes to take
place and re-download a page's work of stuff to look at because the
computer already has all of the information it needs.

My mother uses Thunderbird to manage 8+ email accounts with a mix of
IMAP and POP3 (she runs a business and does volunteer work, so has
collected quite a few addresses). While you can definitely tell it's
using more than its share of resources, it's sill fully usable on her
5+ year old netbook with less ram than most modern graphics cards.

I feel your pain though and personally use Alpine for my everyday stuff
(and Thunderbird when I'm forced to read a heavily-formatted email).

I haven't seen any issues with Thunderbird when using lots of big
accounts (see the example above), though it will make the searching
slower.

Keep in mind that my original list was in response to "Thunderbird vs
Webmail", so yes Mutt can do (most) of the things Thunderbird can, but
then so can Outlook :P