Thunderbird mail

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Aug 18 17:43:01 UTC 2013

LP wrote:
> And Encryption does not stop them.

[Citation needed], to quote a phrase...

One of the things that has come out of the Snowden revelations is that
not even the NSA can read the contents of encrypted messages (although
header data and traffic analysis can be quite revealing without the
content).

That correlates nicely with Law Enforcement Agencies continually asking
for increased surveillance powers and back doors in software to combat
the "darknet".  If they weren't stopped by encryption, they'd be
quietly reading and listening already, without trumpeting their
inadequacies.

So, encrypt all the things.

Of course, the greatest barrier to good encryption is doing it
properly. Using strong (long) passphrases, keeping your private keys
secure, selecting good F/LOSS encryption software that has been vetted
by the crypto community (and not software using proprietary encryption
which code is kept secret by the corporations in league with
surveillance agencies. Skype, I'm talking 'bout you!) EBG13 vf abg na
nqrdhngr rapelcgvba pvcure. Lbh unir orra jnearq!

--Bob, who fears losing our liberty and security, all in the name of stopping that great
evil, child pornography, and that even greater evil, copyright infringement.