Thunderbird mail

LP linuxpusher2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 15:15:15 UTC 2013

Good Info Thanks Stephen,
If you use any tools to trace your connection you would be surprised how
many US Government Agencies you pass through.
The Canadian Government has been spying on Canadians for many years, they
use U.K. USA Military Exchange Officers to read data collected Locally, so
technically its not Canada spying on it's citizens.
And Encryption does not stop them.

On 18 August 2013 10:43, Stephen M. Webb <stephen.webb at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 08/18/2013 08:59 AM, raymond wrote:
> > Hi all, why use thunderbird mail? It is only duplicating what I get
> through my gmail account (in my case).And it's
> > slower at start up because it must get the mail info from my other mail
> accounts.I know that it stores my mail in
> > my computer, is that it's sole purpose? It seems like a lot of
> duplication to me, can anyone clear this up for me,
> > Thanks.
>
> First off, that's like asking why drive a Ford when you could drive a
> Toyota. Different folks choose different
> products for different reasons.
>
> Second, even if you choose to have Google read and keep all of your email,
> the filtering ability of Google's mail
> product is very limited and extremely poor (their philosophy is that you
> have to actively search for specific mail
> instead of passively sort -- which means you send them your search keys
> and they sell your data for their profit -- of
> no benefit to you).  If you use a local email client you can use very
> detailed and powerful filters to sort your
> email, just like in the olden days when you owned your own data.  This
> point may not affect you if you only have a few
> messages per day from a few people, but many folks out there get thousands
> of messages per day from very many sources,
> and Google's mail product does not come close to meeting requirements.
>
> Third, you might have multiple email accounts and want to be able to read
> everything in one place.  Sure, you could
> route all your email from all your accounts through Google's mail servers
> in the US.  Some mail sources, such as many
> employers or educational institutions, do not allow you to do that.
>  Others are private and you don't want Google
> reading and selling your private correspondence.
>
> Fourth, you may be disturbed by ongoing US government surveillance, the
> Canadian government's proposed warrentless
> surveillance bills, or industrial espionage and wish to encrypt your
> correspondence.  Google's mail product does not
> support email encryption and decryption.  For that, you need a client-side
> email program like Thunderbird.
>
> --
> Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
> https://launchpad.net/~bregma