Re-imagining

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 8 12:51:19 UTC 2013

I totally agree, Mark.

It would be very unfortunate to replace one Windows with another one. The idea
of the FLOSS movement is not to replace Microsoft with a more tame Open Source
version, which still eliminates choices for the user.

If I would take some of the decisions and the current path of Canonical in isolation,
I could fear something like this happen. However, fortunately, the *buntu community
is not equal to Canonical. It is more like two different sets with hopefully a
big as possible intersection.

Hence, contributions for me are anything that increases the choices of users and
brings the out of whack IP system a little bit more into balance, are in fact
valuable contributions to the *buntu community.

More choices does not have to mean, more complicated. While I personally have
never tried Mint, what I am hearing, it seems they are focus on the original goal
by the *buntu community (at least as it was often stated) to create a Linux
distribution that is easy to use.

I also do not see any harm in the Canonical projects that seem to cause quite
some divisity in this regard. In fact, they give choices to the users. The
problem is when it gets more and more difficult to pursue those choices (i.e.
overriding policies default back to the "preferred option" and so on.

In this context, I would really like to see the DVD being mastered in a way
that allows the user to choose between different desktops. While it can
be debated for infinity which desktop is the best, neither of them fits
with everybody's requirements, and hence the choice is additive, not divisive.

A good role I could LoCo see to take on is to create an environment to bounce
around ideas. I believe collaboration is the big social part of Open Source, not
only Ubuntinis. It would be great if you could make strides in this regard.

Ralph