Re-imagining

gord campbell gordc2005 at velcom.ca
Mon Apr 8 04:42:42 UTC 2013

    "Of my three closest friends and family members, how many enjoy
Ubuntu on a daily basis?"

Zero.

I would be delighted if I could convert my wife, because her computer is
often clogged up with malware. However, her most important application
is QQ, a Chinese videoconferencing program she uses to videoconference
with friends and family in China -- and some right here in Toronto.
Technically, it's horrid, but the videoconferencing is fabulous, it
makes Skype look like a tricycle with training wheels. I'm hopeful that
Canonical's joint venture in China will bring QQ to Ubuntu, because it
would simplify my life. If they also could make Sopcast "just work,"
that would seal the deal.

A real good friend has spent many years writing about computers, but he
has never installed an operating system. As soon as I say, "go into your
BIOS settings," he tunes out. There's no chance he will ever take that
step.

Both my sons have technical jobs in a Windows environment, so any time
they spent learning about Linux would be time wasted.

When I want to get things done, I run Mint with Cinnamon. However, I
recognize the importance of Ubuntu, and my magazine column is focused on
the *buntus.

If there were Ubuntu Hours in Toronto, I would be very supportive -- but
I'm the wrong guy to try to organize them.

We each support "the project" and "the community" in our own way, and
what is right for me is not right for you.