Help on Canadian Ubuntu mailing list [was rogers rocket stick sierra 330U]

Ori Idan ori at helicontech.co.il
Fri Sep 14 05:14:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Kip Warner <kip at thevertigo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 22:32 -0400, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> > I have to disagree with Kip's comments above, specially when the
> > original question involves a Canadian-specific situation. But in
> > general, I must say that asking technical questions and providing
> > answers is probably the best way to build a community. Getting together
> > to drink a couple of beers and for key-signing hand shakes is one way to
> > solidify that which has already been built.
>
> Imagine that a new non-Ubuntu person is living in Canada and just got
> excited about Ubuntu. They Googled around and discovered there's this
> thing called "Ubuntu Canada". Cool! They have a mailing list too.
> Great!! So, they join up (subscribe), and start reading prior posts to
> get a feel for the state of Ubuntu in Canada.
>
> What do they find? Ubuntu never works. The list is mostly silent but
> then suddenly erupts into a flood of "How do I get my blah working with
> blah on my blah, blah..." followed by a bunch of "Try this try that." In
> short they find: *A whole lot of fail.*

Since I am currently not living in Canada and also have the advantage of
being subscribed to other local Linux and/or Ubuntu mailing lists, I can
say that I have never seen a list where people get the answer "go to
another list and ask your question"
Especially in a case like this where the guy asks about rogers specific
issue. Remember that for anyone outside Canada the name rogers means
nothing and might as well be a name of a restaurant or a pub :-)

--
Ori Idan