[HOW-TO] Upgrading to 12.10 from 12.04 LTS

Michael Stathers m_stathers at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 02:25:52 UTC 2012

Hello Everybody,

Now usually I blow out my machine and perform a fresh install, but this time I thought that I would do an in-place upgrade.

The gist of it is:
  1) Update all your package
  2) Tell the update-manager that you would like to upgrade away from an LTS
  3) Upgrade

I prefer to do things via command line so:
  1) sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  2) sudoedit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
         -  Change from "Prompt=lts" to "Prompt=normal"
  3) sudo do-release-upgrade

Full instructions for both graphical and command-line based methods can be conveniently found on Ubuntu's website:

         https://help.ubuntu.com/community/QuantalUpgrades

I hope everybody has a great time with the new release!

   - Mike S (Ubuntu Vancouver)