Power Management in Ubuntu

Verdi R-D verdi at azend.org
Sat Oct 13 16:41:17 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

For the past many years I've been using Ubuntu, power management wasn't
great. Often I would find my self getting a couple hours less battery
life in Ubuntu than I would in the Windows based counterpart. Recently
however, I was watching the Linux Action Show (as I often do) and they
were talking about power management and battery life optimization. They
mentioned that, in many occasions, by just installing the
laptop-mode-tools package, your laptop would get an extra hour or so on
battery. Furthermore, you could increase your battery life even more by
installing an application called PowerTOP. This application goes and
shows you the individual application called processor wakeups and gives
you a rough generalization on if specific applications are being power
efficient or if they could still be further optimized.

Being as I've obviously been living in a hole the past couple of years,
does anyone have any other tips on optimizing/getting more battery life
in Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Verdi