Ubuntu-ca disbanded?

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Mon Nov 26 22:33:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 16:36 -0500, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> This is true.  And it's times like these when I wonder why I bother
> with approved LoCo status.
>
> The CDs are nice, I suppose...
>
> As for IRC meetings, we pair ours up with the Waterloo Ubuntu Hour.  I
> *do* actually meet up with Bob (and sometimes Ralph and others) in
> person and we chat in person while hoping to coordinate with people
> doing stuff who can't come to Waterloo.

Hey Darcy. That's really good to hear.

> In my ideal world, the IRC meeting would be where city teams across
> the country could coordinate on bigger projects and share knowledge
> and experience about what worked and what didn't.  For all you and
> Randall talk about how wonderful Ubuntu Vancouver is, I still have no
> idea what you guys actually do there.  (I mean *actually* do, as in
> real-life experience, not marketing hype).

We've got a bunch of community projects we are working on together, some
public, some unreleased. If you message me off list, I can share one of
our large ones.

We also get together regularly every month at one of our member's cafe's
downtown and talk about all kinds of things. People come out from every
walk of life and we have a very diverse group of people from teachers,
musicians, soldiers, engineers, programmers, artists, and so on.

> There is *some* value in
> the IRC meetings, as in it gives us a chance to pitch the idea of
> running events to people who just happen to be in the IRC channel.  I
> think that's why Michael started doing the Toronto release parties.
> And we've had other people nibble at the bait, even if we've never
> actually been able to reel them in.

Although I was just using IRC as an example, I hear what you are saying.
I totally agree that electronic communication is fine for coordinating
an event or events, but just not for hosting the events themselves. The
exception for me is for events that aren't really social functions, but
more like technical or developer meetings.

> Mostly, though, it's just me and Bob telling each other things we
> already know, or could more easily just say out loud, because we're in
> the same room.  I don't *mind* doing them, but it does seem a bit
> farcical sometimes.

I hear you.

> I am coming more and more to the opinion that the LoCo Council is
> useless bureaucracy and not in any way helpful.  My interactions with
> them have not been incredibly positive.
>
> Darcy.

Yes, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I've heard very
similar sentiments from within our own LoCo.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred