initram-tools hangs processing triggers. HELP!

Stevan hulan stevan.hulan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:55:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I can get myself out of most messes but I just got this system running
the way I like it.
I'm running a Toshiba Satellite P750-11S laptop with Ubuntu 12.10
(desktop, amd64)

I thought I'd go ahead and add the bumblebee ppa to get some power
saving with drivers for the nvidia GeForce GT 540M.

All was going well as I did the following:
stevan at casper:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
stevan at casper:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
stevan at casper:~$ sudo apt-get update
stevan at casper:~$ sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
linux-headers-generic

The install hung at:
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic

After 15 min sitting I tried:
stevan at casper:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.103ubuntu0.2) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic

I've done the usual google search for forums and have come up short.

Help
At this stage I'm backing up the system before I go further.
Anyone with a simple fix for initramfs-tools.

Stevan