Ubuntu Hour tonight, SysAdminDay Dinner next week

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Jul 19 18:58:04 UTC 2012

On 12-07-19 09:58 AM, David M. Pelly wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> Why not set up an UbuntuHour Cambridge at a time and location
>> that is convenient for you? All you have to do is announce it on
>> the mailing list, and some of us will travel long distances to
>> come.
>
> For one thing: Are there Ubuntu users in Cambridge,

Determining any kind of user count is really difficult.
http://linuxcounter.net/ estimates there are over 60,000,000 Linux users
world-wide.  There's bound to be a couple in Cambridge.  Perhaps we
haven't seen them at other KW Ubuntu Hours because KW is too far to
travel from Cambridge. Or perhaps they simply don't know about the
Ubuntu community that exists.

> and if there  are, are they  on the mailing list?

Hello Cambridge Ubuntoids!  Olly Olly Oxen Free! Come out, come out,
where-ever you are!

*ahem*

> Another thing;  why  would anyone come to a meeting I put on?
>
> I do not know anything much about Ubuntu, all I have is questions
> and no answers.

That's a great reason to put on an Ubuntu Hour! You may get your
questions answered.  If others show up with questions then you have a
great answer for them: show them how to join this mailing list, and
point them to other great Ubuntu and GNU/Linux resources[1].

> I need someone that has experience with Ubuntu experience as a key
> note speaker.

That's not necessary for an Ubuntu Hour, they're intended to be
informal gatherings of Ubuntu enthusiasts.  KWLUG has formal speaker
presentations, but Ubuntu Hours don't have to be like that.  At the
Kitchener Ubuntu Hour there's a developer who shows off Playbook apps
he's written, just because he wants to (and that has nothing to do
with Ubuntu).  At the Waterloo Ubuntu Hour we talked about the local
festivals (Non-Violence, AfroFest, LatinFest, Jazz Festival, RibFest).
 If the discussion turns to one of the three taboo subjects (religion,
politics, sports) then that's OK too.

> Which I suppose I could ask you or Stephan to be fill the hat of
> expert, if you or him will come this far,

If you organize an Ubuntu Hour Cambridge then I'll come and bring
Ubuntu CDs.  So you have at least one guaranteed participant.  Note
that of the three taboo subjects I only talk about politics :-)

> and then the main point becomes are there Ubuntu users  in
> Cambridge, and if there are, are they on the list ?
>
> then if not on the list,  how do I find them?

Go to your favourite cafe, restaurant, library, and community centre and
put up a one page poster:

     Ubuntu Hour Cambridge
    Someday, XX August 2012
       7:30pm - 8:30pm
  David's Favourite Coffee Shop
  Come chat about Ubuntu, Linux,
   Free Software, or Computers
     No experience required.
  Ubuntu CDs will be given away!

Let me know when you've picked a date, time and place.  You can post
it on the Ubuntu-ca LoCo calendar[2], or I can do that for you.

- --Bob.

[1] GNU/Linux resources in Kitchener-Waterloo:
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/2012/06/04/gnulinux-resources-in-kitchener-waterloo/

[2] Ubuntu-ca LoCo calendar: http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ca