Thunderbird

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Aug 30 17:16:23 UTC 2012

In that reply on Ubuntu Forums, rthawkcom writes
> Re: Thunderbird cannot locate mail spool file - Gmail That's because
> by default Thunderbird interfaces to the local Movemail server
> instead of connecting to an external server like you and the rest of
> the planet wants. When Thunderbird is first run, it NEVER offers you
> the chance to interface to an external mail server.

I've never experienced that.  Whenever I create a new mail account,
whether on a new install of Thunderbird or as an additional account in
an existing installation, I'm always guided through the account setup
wizard.

However, on new install there's also the prompt for using the computer's
local mail spooler, requiring that Sendmail or PostFix is also running.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to switch an account from
"Mail spooler" to IMAP or POP and SMTP, so the advice of deleting and
re-creating the account seems to be the only remedy.

--Bob.

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413