home on a 2nd hard drive

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Aug 28 16:37:00 UTC 2012

It sounds like you may be having two different problems: 1) the drive
containing /home folder is not mounted (so you're seeing /home from the
same mount as the root filesystem) and 2) you no longer have sudo
privileges.

Fix 1) first. Can you log in as root?  If yes, then:

1. log in as root (from a terminal, if necessary)

2. open /etc/fstab in an editor

3. if there's a line that mounts /home then comment it out (put a # in
front)

4. add a line like '/dev/sdb1 home ext4 defaults 0 0' (be sure to use
the /dev/ device and fstype appropriate for your system)

5. Save the /etc/fstab file

6. Reboot!

If you can't log in as root then boot from a live CD and follow the
steps above, but make sure that you work on the /etc/fstab that's on
your system's drive, not the live CD's filesystem.  You'll need to use
sudo to edit /etc/fstab

Let us know if that fixes things.  We can tackle your sudo problem once
your home directory is restored.

--Bob.