file sharing on network

gord campbell gordc2005 at velcom.ca
Sun Aug 12 13:51:35 UTC 2012

Last week I got the "failed to retrieve share list" message for the
first time in years. I was too busy to try to figure it out.

The next day, file sharing worked perfectly. I made no changes. Both
computers had been powered down and back up in the interim.

And yes, you need Samba or NFS, and Samba is the default. I think I have
read that NFS is more difficult to set up, and generally provides higher
performance.

(I test a new version or distro about once a month, and always test
setting up a shared folder, and sharing a folder from another computer.
I never edit a configuration file or use the Terminal, and it always
just works. Except for one time last week....)