tomtom gps updates

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Apr 6 16:49:05 UTC 2012

Hi Linda:  First, write a letter to TomTom customer service complaining
about their requirement for non-free software.  Customer Support is
unlikely to understand what Free Software is, so specifically ask for a
Linux application.

You may be able to run the Windows software under Wine.  Let us know the
model of your device, and provide a link to the software you're trying
to use.

There may be free software available for your TomTom device already.
Check out the OpenTom project,
http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page#The_OpenTom_Software  The OpenTom
project mentions both alternate firmware for TomTom devices, as well as
altenate desktop applications:
http://www.opentom.org/OpenTom:Community_Portal

You can also load OpenStreetMap maps into your device. There are almost
certainly GNU/Linux applications to do that.

TomTom has been supportive of things like OpenStreetMap in the past by
loaning out devices for mapping parties. And, of course, the irony is
that the TomTom devices use Linux as their OS kernel:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TomTom

--Bob.