is this true

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Tue Sep 27 12:46:12 UTC 2011

On 9/27/2011 7:47 AM, swfiua at gmail.com wrote:
> It is sort of true.
>
> MS are using a thing called secure boot in Windows 8, ostensibly to
> protect users from boot record attacks -- so that would be where
> malicious attackers mess with your boot record to get you to boot into
> dodgy code.
>
> I guess another potential use would be in the corporate environment
> where they don't want employees booting their machines from a USB
> stick into some weird OS like linux -- or maybe in a few enlightened
> companies where they don't want you booting into windows ;)
>
> The way it works is you only get to boot into digitally signed
> OS'es.   Now, in principle it isn't hard to sign your linux OS and
> have the secure boot stuff have the key to verify your linux.
>
> I've only read a bit about this, but the problem as I see it is that
> it is down to the OEM's whether they let their customers configure the
> set of keys that the secure boot software will have.    MS have said
> that's not down to us, that is the OEM's choice + if they only use our
> key then that's not our fault!    But, I do wonder if you are an OEM
> and you agree to configure your machines this way then you'll get a
> break on the price from MS.
>
> It is early days, this may all be a none issue, but it does look like
> this might, at the very least, add another hurdle to installing linux.
>
> John
>
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Chris <candive1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:candive1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Linux installs may be blocked by Bios???
>
>     http://packetstormsecurity.org/news/view/19904/MS-Denies-Secure-Boot-Will-Exclude-Linux.html
>

>     Chris.
>
>     --
>     Linux! The Freedom to Choose.
>     www.bglug.ca <http://www.bglug.ca>
>

>     --
>

> No virus found in this message.

On Ancient Computers like Commodore all the OS was stored an a Rom. You
could not change it at all. Nice thing about it was other people could
not mess with it, and make it do things when they tried to make changes
to it.

Viruses were only able to make changes in the data area of memory.  All
this extra ability that others can use is because there is no real
security on all the common operating systems that are out there. For the
amount of trouble and loss of funding that it causes, it may be
something to try to do in time, make something that is impervious to
Viruses and Malware. Something that you can use to do things with
without having it corrupted or changed constantly, each time you go
online.  From things I learned there were other ways to access disk
Drives turn one on while another was turned off, without making use of a
boot loader which would not work when a program is making use of a
Secured root, or Secured Boot File. It would be a Hardware Interface.
You would put Windows 8 on one hard Drive, and Linux on another hard
Drive. When you want Windows, you turn on the Windows hard drive, so it
Boots, and when you want linux or other Confuser, you turn it on, so
that in booting up it is the only drive present at Boot up. The other
drives can come online when Boot up has completed. The OS could perhaps
be stored on a Rom, that can not be erased or changed. It is a more
ancient way of doing things, but then much of this stuff that gets in
the way, might in some ways get averted. My Computer at the moment is
making use of 5 hard rives and two external Hard drives, each with a
different operating system on them. I sort of switch them around
Mechanically right now. So when I want UE then I attach that drive, when
I want Ubuntu I attach that drive, when I want Mint I attach that drive.
When I want Windows I attach that drive, by just sliding them in the
trays for them into place when I want to sync I boot up windows or other
OS and in linux, can access the drives from other OSes. I'm not that
savvy on how to do all these things, but some of you Mavericks might
just be able to come up with something.

Alfred!

Alfred!

Alfred!