side bar

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre at
Tue Sep 13 12:56:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM, raymond house <raymondh40 at> wrote:
> Hello,  I have a question, In Unity what do you call the vertical side bar ?

It's called the "Launcher".

For the record, the top one is the "Panel", and the full-screen window
that opens when you click the Ubuntu button (or "BFB" in technical
terms ;), e.g. with the application categories and search bar, is the

To add to that, you also have "Lenses" which are the extra buttons at
the end of the launcher, if you have them installed, to search
specifically for files, applications, books, or whatever else.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre < at>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: at
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93

More information about the ubuntu-ca mailing list