Ubuntu

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel at dimensiadesign.com
Tue Sep 13 00:48:03 UTC 2011

I don't doubt that some companies are using Linux partially, migrating over
to it, or using it exclusively.  I think it's about time that Linux starts
showing some visual gains in the corporate world.

I work for a software firm here in Toronto, and I can safely say that the
majority of the users are running some variant of Windows.  When we do get
the occasional issue related to Linux, the majority of the environments seem
to have moved entirely over to Linux.  Even if the desktops of some users
haven't been moved over from Windows, the server side is almost always
exclusively Linux, when we deal with a Linux environment.

Even during the training that is done for our software (of which I've been a
part), it is mentioned that the recommended platform for reasons of
stability is Linux.  During the one session of which I was apart, I had the
opportunity to converse with a few of the attendees, and was quite vocal in
my belief that Linux is a much better platform in general when compared to
Windows.

Now, I couldn't specifically recommend Ubuntu, as it's not supported by the
software we make.  Even so, I made sure to provide my opinion of it as the
desktop operating system of choice for any new systems they happen to be
rolling out.

Alex Gabriel

Dimensia Design Studio

alexgabriel at dimensiadesign.com