Old Linux kernels

Chris candive1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 14:38:44 UTC 2011

*I ran* $ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for linuxpusher:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-30-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-30-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done
linuxpusher at Linux-Pusher-Ultimate:~$

*My question is why does it not show* 2.6.35-30*.59*
*Which is what is shown in synaptic?*
*
*
*Thanks*
*Chris.*

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Doug Stewart <doug.dastew at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, Doug Stewart wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks Gord, I have now done this. but I thought there was a more
>>> automatic
>>> way that when you install a new one it would only keep the latest 2 or 3
>>> and delete the older ones automatically
>>>

>> I wouldn't recommend doing it automatically.  If a system stayed up for a
>> long time (say a server) it could see many kernel updates while it continued
>> to run on an old kernel.  You could eventually find that the only verified
>> bootable kernel gets rotated out of the set and that all of your newer
>> kernels are untested - not a desirable position.  This isn't theoretical - I
>> observed this happen with systems years ago and formed the opinion that
>> kernel removal should be manual.
>>
>> In any case the kernels and their associated files take up little room so
>> there is little practical reason for removing them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> --
>> Email: robert at timetraveller.org         Linux counter ID #16440