is this true

swfiua at gmail.com swfiua at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:59:35 UTC 2011

I know very little about the UEFI implementation, but do know a fair bit
about public key cryptography.

If the UEFI implementation is done right then the keys that are embedded in
the boot loader should be public keys and, by definition, there is no need
to keep them secret.

The keys that need to be kept secret are the corresponding private keys used
to sign the OS'es that you install.

This part should not be a problem for linux.   I'd expect the main distros
to have their own private keys and to provide tools to make it easy to adder
their public keys to UEFI.

For users experimenting with their own OS, then I assume you can generate
your own key pair, load the public key into the boot loader and use the
private key to sign your OS.

One thing I'm not sure about with UEFI is just what you have to sign.  I'd
expect the signing to include some sort of checksum on the code it is going
to boot -- can anyone point me at the details?

John