On Local Teams

Randall Ross randall at executiv.es
Wed Nov 2 14:43:53 UTC 2011

Canada,

Recently there has been discussion about breaking country teams into
smaller ones, e.g. by state or province.

While in theory this might seem like a rational move, we should ask
ourselves "What problem are we trying to solve?"

One of the barriers to the formation of Ubuntu Local Communities (in the
truly local sense) is that people perceive that there is a formal and
defined organization at a national level and therefore generally don't
feel empowered or compelled to start something locally. Lest you think
this is a unique Canadian issue, the USA is organized at a state level
and the same situation exists.

So, should we "break" Ubuntu Canada into provincial teams? No. This will
not create more active, vibrant Local Communities. This *will* add
another artificial construct though, with little value.

What should we do then? Easy: Focus our energies on building strong
local communities in our towns and cities.

If you are reading this list and have aspirations to build a real
community, gather some Ubuntu users and enthusiasts in your town and
build a LoCo. Then, make it grow. We will not spread Ubuntu by chatting
in IRC channels. We will not spread Ubuntu by creating more "tumbleweed
teams." We *will* spread Ubuntu block by block, neighbourhood by
neighbourhood, town by town, city by city.

Toronto? Kitchener? Montreal? Calgary? Edmonton? Regina? Saskatoon?
Winnipeg? Ottawa? Quebec City? Fredericton? Halifax? St. Johns? Moncton?
...   Let's get rolling!

Ubuntu <insert-your-city-here> LoCo.

Cheers,
Randall