Quick poll: Province teams

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Nov 1 00:13:22 UTC 2011

I'd probably contribute about the same with a provincial team.  For me
that's some involvement on the mailing list, IRC and maybe the Wiki or
Web site.  Doesn't matter where the Loco is based, it's all done from my
desk.

But it makes a difference for local events.  If there's a Canada-wide
meetup then there's only a fractional chance I'll participate, but if
there's a local event I'm usually in.  So, the smaller the geographic
catchement, the more likely I'd attend an event.  With a provincial team
participation is more likely than with a national team but less likely
than with a local team.

Here in Kitchener Waterloo we have a strong local group, so that keeps
interest up, even for national or global events, but that's because we
meet locally for those national and global events.  Having the "home
team" as a provincial team instead of a national team wouldn't make much
difference.

I'd keep the national team, and concentrate on getting people doing
local events (Ubuntu Hours, release parties, jams, hackathons, &c.)

All politics is local, and so are LUGs.

--Bob.