Unity and 11.04 (I know -- yawn -- another opinion)

swfiua at gmail.com swfiua at gmail.com
Mon May 16 00:08:54 UTC 2011

Re configuration.   If you install ccsm then you can actually do a fair bit
of customisation.

I've been using unity since 11.04 was released and I actually quite like it.
 It has some real annoyances (eg if you have two terminals open you don't
seem to be able to pick one of them to switch to from the launcher -- but I
suspect this will be fixed in the next release).   It has a few bugs -- some
apps seem to make the panel disappear on me, but  'unity --replace' seems to
fix that one.   I'm sure mileage varies depending on your graphics card, but
I do feel it is stable enough to release and this will pay dividends for
then next release.

I like that it is compiz based -- I've enjoyed compiz for a while.   I find
that the keyboard support is pretty good and there are some good guides out
there that introduce you to unity.

I'm probably atypical, I've been using linux pretty much exclusiveIly since
1997 and have been through a number of desktop/window managers
(sawfish/sawmill was a favourite, I used ratpoison for a good while,  compiz
in gnome2 with docky and now unity).   I like a change now and again.   I
find retraining the brain only takes a short while + it is amazing how well
that fingers can adapt to what might be a pretty sucky interface.

And, as others have mentioned, you can always fall back to gnome or your
favourite desktop.

Whatever way you look at it, Ubuntu has been a very powerful force for the
adoption of Linux.   I wear Ubuntu T-shirts and regularly get comments from
people -- this would never have happened in my redhat days.    It is good to
see Canonical trying a few different things -- sometimes I feel there is a
bit too much change (just fix some of the existing bugs!) -- but each
release I enjoy that little bit more.

I do wonder how much of the negative publicity about Ubuntu is driven by
astro-turfers with their own agendas -- indeed maybe this is an indication
that Ubuntu is doing a lot of things right.

John