[elug] Linux and the Public Library

Tek Ang rugbeeprop at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 21:47:42 UTC 2011

Coincidently, I just read on Oshawa This Week that one of the large publishers is going to restricts the amount of times an online book can be loaned out, before it expired and required a 'renewal' (repurchase).

>________________________________

      perhaps to others, most notably those with visual impairments. I
      am looking for some support on this issue from other Linux users.

>>I recently bought an ereader, a Pocketbook 602, which is a
      fabulous device and it has once more opened the world of books to
      me. It supports a very board range of formats and most
      importantly, to me anyway , it has the SVOX text to speech engine.  The Pocketbook also plays mp3 audio which is for spoken word books.

>>The Edmonton Public Library serves up digital content that
      consists of epub materials, pdf, mp3 and WMA audio books. Epub and pdf are content managed through Adobe's Digital Editions which monitors the DRM and expiry dates on loaned materials. Digital Editions runs under WINE smoothly. Audio books, mp3 and WMA, are content managed through proprietary software called Overdrive Media Console. Overdrive is ported for Windows, Android and Mac operating systems but not under Linux, any flavour. It won't install under WINE at all and therefore over two thirds of the digital files are unavailable to users of Linux as the .odm wrapper (containing the download info and borrowing license) cannot be used by anything other than Overdrive.

>>To me, this is unacceptable.
>>
>>I know I am but one user out of thousands but I cannot use Windows
      or Mac without considerable costs associated with accessibility
      issues. Most if not all accessibility solutions under Windows or
      Mac are expensive closed systems requiring subsidies from
      provincial governments or from private charities. Vendors of these
      solutions know that the end user is not the payee and they milk
      this situation for all it is worth and trust me it is worth a lot.

>>I live on a disability pension and as a result I cannot afford
      these solutions and subsidies are strictly rationed as demand is
      very high and funds are restricted. Being resourceful I took to
      the open source world and now get along very well at little or no
      cost.

>>What I need is leverage. One guy is not leverage.
>>
>>I need others to express support for a Linux port of Overdrive or
      perhaps an on line converter tool to allow for the download of
      audiobooks from Overdrive.

>>Being cut off from the printed word, regardless of how it is
      delivered, is a difficult thing to deal with. You can't read what
      everyone takes for granted. Your information is incomplete and
      your perceptions are hampered by a lack of information. It's very
      hard to stay informed or even entertained with a nice piece of
      fiction if you are unable to access the materials.

>>Please, if you are wiling, drop a note to Overdrive (support at overdrive.com) and let them know how you feel. I have contacted the library and my councilman about this issue and I would appreciate it if you would do the same.  I believe that if enough of us speak up we can get Overdrive to support a Linux app that will allow me and others in the same boat to avail themselves of a publicly funded resource.
>>
>>If you can help, thank you very much. If you don't think this is
      an issue, then thanks for reading this far, but please reconsider
      as it is very important.