GNOME vs Canonical

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:15:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Hugh McDevitt <crustyasp46 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone explain what all this means to a newcomer to LInux? if
> he/she decides to install Ubuntu as a noob is the experience with the
> new release going to be more difficult or is it going to be a better
> expeience than in the past? Just curious. Thanks.

Hugh, Raymond,

It's a bit of both really. If you're used to Windows, it *will* look
very different and probably act differently than you'd expect it at
first. However, I find (from my use of it both for leisure and for
work) that it's pretty quick to adapt, since it's a very intuitive
interface. Applications are all available in the Launcher on the left,
all text and notification-type things are along the top, etc.
Shortcuts make sense too and from what I find so far, everything is
reachable using only the keyboard, which makes it great later on when
you're in a rush to do something :)

As usual, the goal is to make it easy to install Ubuntu and use your
computer (including avoiding the command-line when possible), no
matter if you're coming from Windows or Mac or never used a computer
before. So far, despite criticisms, I think we're doing pretty good
there, especially when you consider all the new stuff coming out like
integrated touch-screen computers (think Acer's All in One Z5).

AFAIK, with Unity, the Software Center, and all the surrounding work
to have things integrate well with this interface; I think we're on
the way to make it even easier now to use Ubuntu than in the previous
releases.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93