New User support

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Wed Jun 15 14:07:18 UTC 2011

I have been offering free installation (and support) of Ubuntu to friends
for several years. Though several have availed themselves of the offer,
others are concerned about "What happens if you are not around to help me
when I have a problem?  I can get help for MS Windows everywhere."

I really do not have an answer for them because, if they have a serious
problem, the forums are not available to them and most new, non-technically
minded users will not avail themselves of forums anyway.

Since I rarely encounter people here on Vancouver Island that have even
heard of Ubuntu, let alone Linux, I am wondering if there are any Ubuntu
users located in Greater Victoria who would be interested in forming a
local Ubuntu Users Support Group.

Better availability of "hands-on" assistance is, I think, one of the keys
to more widespread acceptance of Ubuntu in the community.  Perhaps small
clusters of helping hands would be a good start.

Or am I too idealistic when I expect "average" people to embrace Linux
through Ubuntu?

Mac