ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 70, Issue 68

Ralph Pichie thevillagegeek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:09:18 UTC 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:17:13 -0500
> From: Ilija Milicevic <engr3337 at gmail.com>
> To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Just a quick poll for my remix.
>
> Post install scripts take forever and a half.
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Mark Ueki Mina <themarker0 at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Just curious, i am looking into the best way to remix ubuntu, so far i
>> have been taking a traditional approach, adding and removing packages (fun).
>> I was thinking though now, would a post installation script be better?
>>
>> For example, lets say you install the barebone OS, you now have Gedit,
>> Terminal, Midori. And then a shell (Delphi or GTK based) installer with a
>> list of packs that you can install (Which really in sense is just a large
>> sudo apt-get command)
>>
>> Any ideas?

Extra packages might not fit in a CD, but a DVD is another matter.
While some might have to be upgraded online, many could be loaded off
the media in the latest version, or installed and upgraded later at
leisure. I haven't done that, but don't see why it couldn't be done.
Don't some distros, such as PCLinuxOS, come in DVD format these days?