password problem

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 18:44:04 UTC 2011

Hi Ray ....disregard my last email....I just realized those instructions
won't work unless you have the root password for the sudo
command.....the only way you're going to be able to reset the root
password is to chroot and fix it or to reinstall ....what follows is the
chroot instructions:

1) boot from the ubuntu live cd, choose "try Ubuntu"
2) open a terminal and run the following (for the second command you
MUST replace /dev/sda1 with the name of your root partition....might be
sda1, sda2 sda3....whatever you choose for your root partition when you
installed ubuntu):

mkdir temp
mount /dev/sda1 ./temp
chroot ./temp
sudo passwd root

After you enter the new password (twice) reboot and things should work again

Of course there is one other possibility which is, did you by chance
remove your user from any groups recently....don't ever remove your user
from the "wheel" group as that would stop you from being able to gain
administration privileges from your user account (you can check this in
System - Administration - Users and Groups)

Cheers
Eugene

--
Eugene Cormier
---------------
info at eugenecormier.com
Office: Denton Hall Rm.235
Office Hours: Mon 3-4, Wed 11:30-12:30 or by appointment
Phone: (902) 585-1329

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information intended for a specific individual or
organization. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely
on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire
computer system.