Dial-up Modems no longer supported???

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 15:38:25 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 09:31 AM, Ilija Milicevic wrote:
> As for dialup, it's not a viable
> option any more in most of the world. I think they should still support it
> but I'm talking from a Third World perspective.

It is not because a certain technology is not used by the majority that
it should be removed all together. I think we have made it especially
hard on people who only have access to telephone to use ubuntuas a
method of accessing the internet.

Here is the third world use case:
- User gets CD and installs
- User tries to connect to the internet via telephone line
- User hits speed bump

At this point the user learns one of the following:
- You must learn to use command line (and config files) to connect using
pppconfig
- You need access to the internet to download a graphical tool that
allows simple PPP connection
- You have a soft modem and require drivers (linuxant and such) that may
have to be downloaded/purchased

Doesn't make for a very good user experience IMO.

-komputes