Execute disable bit on an mp3 player?

Eric 1ballistic1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:39:51 UTC 2011

so, updates:

Bob/Chris: if the X bit isnt set on the .jar, Ubuntu just handles it
as an archive on doubleclick, and gives the 'execute bit disabled'
message if I right-click and "open with" java

Chris, additional:
i've run into that message(and the associated blurb on the website)
before - its why I knew to try it - just never had it not stick like
this.  Setting the bit does allow Ubuntu to handle this .jar as
intended (mp3 file-transfer to the player, as Sony did some weird
hashing somewhere instead of DRM), but only if it's on the hard drive

Trying to change the bit in the player's .jar doesn't even give me the
illusion of working; the check disappears immediately, although the
'most recent change' date does update

regarding CLI options:
adding a launcher with the command to launch the jar from player does
nothing(literally, no error, nothing)
from terminal, 'java -jar
/media/A091-E093/jsymphonic/JSymphonic_v0.3.0_Ode_To_Freedom/JSymphonic_v0.3.0_Ode_To_Freedom.jar'
 just returns "Unable to access jarfile" and the name of the .jar

Really starting to think Darcy was right all along(Sorry Darcy, just my nature)