Ubuntu Natty 11.04

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:58:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM, bergfly <bergfly at gmail.com> wrote:
> unfamiliar half finished user interface. This reminds me very much of the

Half-finished? Don't take me wrong, I appreciate the concerns
expressed here; and that some believe it's half-finished, but for
having used the Unity interface since its rewriting was started, I
find it's quite finished, actually. Here on all my systems I use
Ubuntu 11.04 now with Unity, and I'm very happy with the interface,
usability, and ease of use.

However, as it was expressed before, it's not necessary to reinstall
10.10 to get back to the Gnome interface. You can start it from the
GDM screen, by selecting the "Ubuntu Classic" menu item instead of
just "Ubuntu". This will give you all the other things we updated in
11.04, such as the new version of Evolution with a metric ton of
bugfixes. ;)

Compared to what it was in 10.10 Netbook, Unity is quite finished.
There were lots of bugs before release, and now very few issues coming
up making this absolutely suitable, IMHO, for daily work. Of course,
you're then still at the mercy of whether your system fully supports
the 3D effects necessary to run Unity. If it's not the case, then yes,
it's probably a good idea to head back to "Ubuntu Classic" (although
I'm certain it's better to stick with 11.04 than rollback to 10.10 for
all the bug fixes in various applications).

FWIW, Gnome-Shell isn't blacklisted either, it just couldn't fit in to
11.04 for various technical reasons -- it's available using PPAs
though.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93