Mailing List Tips

Doooh Head doooh_head at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:51:32 UTC 2011

A reply to your "tips":
(1) I don't even pay attention to what format the reply is made in anymore.  Its all done through Hotmail.  There are several different machines that I may reply from so I really don't care what the format of the reply is in.  If 1 or 2 people decide they want to operate in a pure text mode then good for them, I choose to let the OS and the browser and the Hotmail client decide.  If an email client CAN'T interpret HTML by now then why bother with it?  Perhaps its time to move on to something more current.(2) Reply all is the only way to reply to "the list".(3) I agree with this idea.  There is no need to have the entire post in the reply if you only intend to reply to one or two of the ideas contained in the post.  You could even extrapolate on this idea even further by suggesting that the reply should contain, in some form, the points to which you are replying.  For example, if a question is being asked then the way to reply to the question is to have the response contain the original question so that having the original question contained in the email not necessary anymore.  Replying with "Yes" or "No" shouldn't be enough.  Replying with something like "Yes your idea on the topic of list replying tips is very good, I agree" would be better than "I agree".(4) My email client, in this case Hotmail takes care of the "chronological order" for me.  I see all posts from the latest to the oldest.  In most cases I've been following the posts, so if I have to scroll down in each post to see the current persons' reply, especially from my smart phone, then it is just easier to delete it than its worth to scroll to the end of several days worth of replying.  Just about ALL "current" email clients have some form of "preview" of the email available.  If I can't see the current reply there, I move on.

So Kip, you make some valid points but I for one don't agree with all of them.
Doooh