Want to help with the website?

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 04:39:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What? When did this happen?

It's been ongoing for a while.  Slow progress due to real life stuff,
but progress all the same.  We've been discussing it during IRC
meetings over the last few months.

> I volunteered countless times and was basically pushed away due to the
> fact that Canonical had complete control over the site.

You've always been top of mind, Brett.  Just wasn't sure if you'd lost
interest.  We're switching over to the new site so we could do things
like change the theme.

> Why are we just copying the main Ubuntu website? That's hardly original design.

Because the ubuntu-website theme was available and neither Ralph nor I
are theme designers. :) It's intended to be serviceable until some
clever and motivated individual comes along and designs something
better.

> And we're still using Drupal? I thought we decided to go with
> Wordpress due to its popularity, abundance of addons and familiarity
> for other users.

I'm open to switching.  I think Ralph decided to stick with Drupal to
make migrating easier.  And he does Drupal hosting, so I guess that
makes sense.  I like Wordpress better myself, but this is the sort of
thing the website team can debate and decide.

In the end, it comes down to the preferences of the people who're
willing to do the work to maintain it.  The important thing is we have
a site that's useful and up-to-date, not the software behind it.

> The homepage doesn't even explain what the website is or does or who
> we even are... it's just a planet feed of all our blogs.

Yeah.  It needs work. :)

> I think it needs a lot more work done before it goes live.

Sure!  Personally, I believe in release early, release often.  If a
launch date gets people motivated to get it in shape, I'm all for
that.  But I don't want to delay forever, either.  We need a website.

Darcy.