Using a Modem - "dial-up in 10.10 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu."

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sun Nov 21 04:39:36 UTC 2010

Hi:

I'm having to use Windows 7 lately to gain access to the Internet,
because I can make use of a USB Modem with it. A Change was made, to
gnome-network-admin where a Modem can no longer be Configured in it. I
suppose there is Gnome PPP, it's been a while since I've used it. Why is
there such a Goosestepping Drive to remove the use of Modems in Ubuntu
Linux? Big Internet Providers do have High Speed, in this area now, at
1/2 a Gig of downloading for 35 Dollars. A Cap that is very expensive
for more than 1/2 a Gig. With hills in the way, and no direct line of
sight, and poor quality lines for DSL. Dial-up is all my Budget can
afford. Yet talking about it, with this forum seems to me to be loud
noises on Deaf Ears! I have not been able to get on the internet with
10.10, can't make upgrades, can't get Email, can't browse the web. My
Modem can't be used, because of no working RS232 interface, that can
operate the Modem. No interface for setting up a Modem any more!

What can be done with this, is there some sort of Ubuntu Solution for this?

Alfred!